Beauty Thru Art Plein Air Invitational
Saturday, June 29, 2019
Town of Bow Mar, CO
Objectives: To make art more accessible and generate sales for our artists, we are launching an innovative “Beauty Thru Art” neighborhood by neighborhood public campaign to bring art directly to communities and engage them where they live with programming and events that inspire them to begin collecting art. Pre-event programming will include presentations to the community about the importance of acquiring original art for their homes and businesses. By using a plein air event as the focus of our efforts, we will be able to engage audiences that may not have had prior experiences with galleries or artists and we will encourage direct contact between the participating artists and the potential collector(s) so artists will be able to develop a new book of business. We are also inviting our artists to submit “studio works” for the event that will diversify the subject matter exhibited and which will give our audience a sense of each artist’s body of work so as to generate greater sales that day along with future sales.
Eligibility: Any professional artist who is an ArtLover member of Collectors for Connoisseurship may apply for inclusion in the 2019 Beauty Thru Art Plein Air Invitational. Artists selected to participate will be given the opportunity to paint up to two (2) 8” x 10” or 9” x 12” unframed (we will have our framer on site with discounted plein air frames to be purchased by the buyers if they choose) works during the Paint Out on site in Bow Mar (“plein air works”). Selected artists may also deliver for exhibition and sale that day up to two framed works from the images submitted to the jury (“studio works”) (two small stackable not to exceed 9″ x 12″ or one medium work not to exceed 16″ x 20″).
Location: The headquarters for the plein air event will be at the home of Foundation Board member Kimberly Moore in the town of Bow Mar (main entrance off of S. Sheridan and W. Quincy with lakefront views of Bowles lake and Marston lake; address to be provided upon acceptance).
- 8-9:00am: Artist Check-In (Coffee & Pastries)
- 8:30-11:30am: Round 1 Plein Air Painting
- Noon: Artist Box Lunches at Lake and Start of Sales of Round 1 plein air paintings and studio works
- 1:00-4:00pm: Round 2 Plein Air Painting
- 4:30pm-6:00pm: Art Sales & Cocktails with the Artists & Neighborhood (and our collectors who do not reside there)
- 6:30pm: Strike of Event (Artists take back unsold works);
Plein air works will be displayed on tables under a tent at the Moore residence and studio works will be hung on mobile walls provided by the Colorado Dominican Vocation Foundation (CDVF); the event organizer. While artists will be paid 50% of sales proceeds from the studio works which are expected to be higher-priced than the plein air works, the split for the latter on-site works will be 25% to the artist and the balance to the sponsoring nonprofits.
- Application Submission Period: April 15-May 15, 2019
- Jury Selection: May 15-18, 2019
- Artist Notification: No later than May 21, 2019
- If you are already a current C4C ArtLover member, simply click on the Jury Application button above and follow the instructions. If you are not a current member, the link will not work for you until you renew your membership and then log in as a member.
- Click on the Jury Application and submit as directed.
- Please submit two to four digital images (JPG; image size: 1920 pixels on the long side/ 5” x 7”; resolution: 300 DPI; file size: max 2MB) of your work to Chairperson, Shannon Robinson by completing our Jury Call Application no later than 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 15, 2019.
- All digital images must be numbered and labeled as follows: Last Name, First Name, Image No., Title, Medium, Size, and Price. For example: Smith_Alice_#1_High Winds_Oil_16 x 20_$1,200.
- Size, Price and Number of Works: Based on the submissions, the jury may accept one medium sized work (not to exceed 16” x 20” or two small stacked works) per artist as “studio works” with a price not to exceed $3,000 (unless otherwise approved) and a preferred price range of $700-$1,800.
- Applicants must also submit a professional biography.
- Prices will be set by the artist. The artist commission on studio works is 50% and on plein air works is 25%. The CDVF will be responsible for collecting and remitting sales tax and will also pay for any credit card fees incurred if a purchaser decides to purchase your work via credit card rather than personal check.
- Artists will be responsible for delivering all works and removing any unsold works at the end of the day.
- Applicant consents to the publication of any accepted digital images on the CDVF website and in the event marketing materials.