As part of our mission to provide education to collectors, the Foundation has launched a new national network for collectors called Collectors for Connoisseurship. This unique community of collectors and artists will engage and interact through online experiences such as the Windows to the Divine blog, the know2collect library and special events, including tours of artist studios and member collections. At our national symposiums, art lovers will view art, learn about collecting, and engage in a national dialogue about the direction of art and what collectors can do to promote the vocation of the artist.
We are pleased to announce the first Collectors for Connoisseurship National Symposium, the Renaissance of Realism, Friday, November 13 at the Denver Art Museum.*
Schedule of Events: November 13-14, 2015
Friday, November 13th:
MORNING TOURS (10 AM-Noon)
- Tour the Wyeth Exhibition described below at the DAM, which opens the first weekend of November (tickets must be purchased at the DAM via their website this fall); and/or
- Special tour with Angelica Daneo, Associate Curator of Painting & Sculpture of the European & American Art Galleries on Level 6 at the DAM. Priority will be given to Founding Connoisseurs and out-of-town attendees. To make a reservation, please email your request to Shannon Robinson.
AFTERNOON SYMPOSIUM (Noon-5 PM)
“Meet the Artists” and Check-In: Sharp Lobby of the Denver Art Museum
1 PM-5 PM
- Welcome by Symposium Chairperson & Moderator, Shannon Robinson
- Keynote Presentation about Wyeth Exhibition by Timothy Standring, Curator of Wyeth Exhibition and Gates Foundation Curator of Painting and Sculpture, Denver Art Museum
- Joint Presentation by Peter Trippi, Editor of Fine Art Connoisseur and Shannon Robinson regarding the history of realism
- Panel of Master Realist Artists Quang Ho, Robert Jackson, David Leffel, Sherrie McGraw, and Daniel Sprick regarding realism and advice to collectors
- Panel of Collectors and Experts, including Tim Newton, Collector and Chairman, Salmagundi Club (NY), Stephanie Birdsall, Collector & Artist, Peter Trippi, Editor of Fine Art Connoisseur, and Kristin Hoerth, Editor of Southwest Art Magazine re: art market and advice to collectors
OPENING GALA OF RENAISSANCE OF REALISM EXHIBITION AT GALLERY 1261
5 PM to 7 PM
Saturday, November 14th:
10 AM to Noon
Champagne Brunch for Founding Connoisseurs (private by invitation only)
For our out-of-town guests, you may wish to reserve hotel room(s) at the new ART Hotel which is located at 1201 Broadway next to the Denver Art Museum.
You should also note that Denver Arts Week is also being held from November 6th to November 14th featuring many special events at a number of arts-related venues.
More about the Wyeth Exhibition: “Wyeth: Andrew and Jamie in the Studio” is a groundbreaking exhibition, curated by Dr. Timothy Standring and presented by the DAM from November 8, 2015 to February 7, 2016.
The Wyeth Exhibition will explore the art of Andrew Wyeth and his son Jamie, and will feature more than 100 works created in a variety of media, including pen and ink, graphite, chalk, watercolor, dry brush, tempera, oil, and mixed media.
This exhibition explores the connection between two American artists who shared artistic habits of mind while maintaining their own unique artistic voices. Never before has an exhibition displayed Andrew Wyeth’s and Jamie Wyeth’s work on this scale and in the shared context of their autobiographies, studio practices, and imaginations.
Whether you are new to the work of Andrew and Jamie Wyeth or are familiar with it, this exhibition will allow you to see their art converge and diverge over the years. The common thread that runs through their works as well as the distinctive practices of each will be apparent.
The Wyeth Exhibition is a timed entry, ticketed exhibition and it is highly recommended that you purchase your ticket(s) online via the DAM website. Tickets will go on sale in fall 2015 and out-of-town visitors who are attending the Symposium should reserve tickets for the Friday morning tours or the weekend tours.
The Wyeth Exhibition will travel to the Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza in Madrid, Spain, following its presentation at the DAM.
*The National Symposium and the Renaissance of Realism exhibition are not sponsored or endorsed by the Denver Art Museum.
Email Shannon Robinson, chairperson and president of Windows to the Divine®.